This Contents Location : Home> Korea's National Geopark
Korea's National Geopark
What is a Korea’s National Geopark?
- Korea’s National Geopark is a new system, certificated by the government, for conservation of an area which has scientific importance for earth sciences and outstanding scenic values. Geopark is a park designated especially for its value related with geological studies and preservation.
- Geosite refers to a place with rare and valuable geological or geomorphological phenomenon.
- Unlike the UNESCO World Heritages, Biosphere Reserves, and National Parks which are for preserving, the Geopark is a new alternative form of park. It not only preserves the geosites, but also for educational and tourism uses, to promote regional economic development on the following.
- Geological heritage is a valuable natural heritage that holds geological records for tracing past evolutionary history of the Earth, understanding the present natural environment, and for preparing the future change of Earth.
- Geotourism is a form of tourism that provides various informations on geology and geography, and also archaeology, culture, ecology, and history.